SERCAP and VEJC

Southeast Rural Community Assistance Project, Inc. (SERCAP) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to improving the quality of life for low- and middle-income (LMI) people in the Southeast. SERCAP had grown into the organization directly responsible for providing safe water, sanitation, and structurally secure housing to more than one million households in seven government service regions since 1969, when it first brought clean, safe drinking water to underprivileged rural areas residents of the Roanoke Valley in Virginia.


SERCAR serves the Virginia community through partners such as VEJC. SERCAP's efforts were focused on improving access to safe drinking water, but the organization quickly discovered that water was just one of many basic necessities. SERCAP is currently working to ensure that all residents in the agency's service area have daily access to clean and cheap drinking water, functioning indoor plumbing and sewer systems, and safe and affordable housing.


SERCAP's contribution to Virginia Community

  • A low-income man living with a disability in Pittsylvania County, Virginia, receives assistance from the CDFI (Community Development Financial Institution) SERCAP Certified Loan Fund to build a new personal well in his home.

  • The SERCAP Regional Program continues to work with its partners on the East Coast of Virginia to collect more water samples in the city of Exmore.

  • The SERCAP Regional Program is sponsoring the installation of a new touchless water station at Sugar Grove Elementary School in Smith County, Virginia, for students, faculty, and staff.

  • The Essential & Critical Needs Program at SERCAP helps a low-income older woman in Russell County, Virginia, access public water by installing a water meter and utility line in her home.

  • The SERCAP Housing Department helped a low-income senior couple in Montgomery County, Virginia. The couple lived in their house for 47 years but suddenly realized that he was in desperate need of repair and replacement.

SERCAP promotes the eradication and prevention of health and disease, as well as equitable access to education and employment opportunities by providing clean drinking water and safe disposal of wastewater and reducing the climate impact.

Over 50 years, SERCAP generated $100 billion in economic activity, prevented 225,000 illnesses and disabilities, and saved 17,000 deaths with an inflation-adjusted $520 million investment.


97.5% of the world's water is in the seas and oceans, where it is too salty to be helpful to humans. Ice caps hold most of the remaining 2.5 percent. As a result, we humans rely on the small amount of available fresh water, the most important natural resource for our existence. Using less water conserves resources in our ecosystems, allowing species such as otters, water voles, herons, and fish to thrive.


With the goal of providing clean water to the public, SERCAP and VEJC are collaborating to serve Virginia. Because clean water is the right of every person, and if we play our part in keeping water safe and improving our climate, we can live healthier lives and make our planet a healthy and safe place for our generations.


If you want to know more about collaborations and news, visit our website and subscribe to our newsletter for the latest updates.


2 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

The Virginia Organizing is the state's non-partisan community organization dedicated to fighting inequality by empowering people in their communities to address issues that affect their quality of lif